Meet the 2013 Quiring Cycles Custom Stainless Steel Gravel bike owned by Gravel Cyclist’s very own, Dr. Pain. This bike has been featured on the website in the past, but not in video format.
The bike came about out of the necessity of creating a safer experience on gnarly gravel. Events such as 3 Peaks USA (no longer around), Hilly Billy Roubaix and Pisgah Monster Cross, really pushed the limits of cyclocross bikes that the Gravel Cyclist crew was riding up to 2012 / 2013.
Descents gave the most concern, as gravel-specific tyres didn’t really exist then, and most of the crew rode on the Michelin Jet cyclocross clincher in 700c x 33mm (when mounted), albeit converted using a home-made tubeless tyre setup based on regular non-tubeless wheels.
Thus, Dr. Pain committed to an order for a full custom stainless steel bike that would feature tyre clearance of at least 2″ and the ability to use road gearing. This required much tweaking and grumbling from Scott Quiring, founder and builder at Quiring Cycles, who thought we were crazy for wanting such a machine. How times have changed!
Dr. Pain’s Custom Quiring Cycles Gravel Bike
- Frame: Quiring Cycles featuring Reynolds 931 Stainless Steel tubing
- Fork: Niner 29’er RDO full carbon thru-axle, tapered 1 1/8″ to 1 1/4″ steerer tube
- Headset: Chris King 1 1/8″
- Seatpost: Niner RDO carbon 27.2mm
- Saddle: In a state of flux
- Wheelset: American Classic Race 29’er tubeless, thru-axle front, quick release rear
- Tyres: Specialized Renegade in 1.8″ or 2″, Schwalbe Furious Fred in 2.0″, or Schwalbe Thunder Burt EVO in 2.1″
- Handlebars: Ritchey WCS Aluminium, non-flare
- Stem: Ritchey WCS -17 degree, 100mm
- Shifters / Brake Levers: Shimano Di2 RS785 Hydraulic / Electronic
- Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR Di2 11-speed
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR Di2 11-speed
- Crankset: Shimano Ultegra 8000-series 11-speed fitted with 46 / 34 tooth chainrings
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB9000, external cup, English thread
- Pedals: Time Atac Carbon
- Cassette: Shimano, ranging from 11-25 up to 11-40, 11-speed
- Chain: Shimano Ultegra 11-speed
- Brakes: BR-RS785 Hydraulic Disc with 180mm rotor front, 160mm rotor rear
- Bottle Cages: King Cage Titanium
Links of Interest:
- Quiring Cycles Gravel Bike Revision 2
- Quiring Cycles – https://www.facebook.com/QuiringCyclesLlc/
- JOM’s Lynskey Drop-Bar Mountain Bike Revision 3
- Gravel Cyclist Contact Page